Welcome, my Green Friends! I am so excited you’re here because that means you have an interest in living a green life (you can learn more about me, here)! From this moment on, I want to share everything with you! Let’s start with the “ugly” and then do something about it, shall we:
- In the USA, as many as 100,000 kids younger than 18 yrs old have inflammatory bowel disease.
- Autism affects 1 in 67 boys and 1 in 110 girls (serotonin leaking from the gut probably a main reason).
- In the United States, 11.3 percent of all adults 20 or over have diabetes. Among adults 65 or over, 26.9 percent have diabetes.
- 20-35 million Americans suffer with Eczema.
- Globally, more than 350 million people of all ages suffer from depression. Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide, and is a major contributor to the global burden of disease.
- Crohn’s disease affects one million Americans.
- 90% of Americans have Parasites.
- 125 million world wide suffer with Psoriasis.
- Sleep deprativity 40 to 75 million Americans.
- 35.6 million people worldwide have Dementia and there are 7.7 million new cases each year.
- An estimated 5.2 million Americans of all ages were diagnosed with Alzheimers disease in 2013. This includes an estimated 5 million people age 65 and older.
- Approximately 200,000 individuals under age 65 suffer young-onset Alzheimers.
- Unexplained aches and pains affect 1 in 2 people.
- Nerve pain affects 4 in 10 people.
- Children diagnosed with ADHD – According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website:
- Approximately 11% of children 4-17 years of age (6.4 million) have been diagnosed with ADHD as of 2011.
- The percentage of children with an ADHD diagnosis continues to increase, from 7.8% in 2003 to 9.5% in 2007 and to 11.0% in 2011.
- Rates of ADHD diagnosis increased an average of 3% per year from 1997 to 2006 [Read article] and an average of approximately 5% per year from 2003 to 2011.
- Boys (13.2%) were more likely than girls (5.6%) to have ever been diagnosed with ADHD.
- The average age of ADHD diagnosis was 7 years of age, but children reported by their parents as having more severe ADHD were diagnosed earlier.
- Prevalence of ADHD diagnosis varied substantially by state, from a low of 5.6% in Nevada to a high of 18.7% in Kentucky.
ADHD Diagnostic Criteria, Prevalence, and Treatment (CDC)
My friends, I DO NOT want you or your children to be a statistic!!!
I created Dr. Green Mom as a resource for YOU, a place to gather mostly science based information to take charge of your health and to model that great health for your little ones (with a few of my own opinions peppered throughout). Dr. Greene once told me, “Kids don’t do what you say, they do what you DO.”
The Green Transition
Green living has become a priority for myself and my family, however it can be extremely overwhelming, especially in the beginning. There are two very important mandates that I came up with (mostly for my sanity), and I find this works amazingly well. And my hope is for you to adopt them for your family too!
MANDATE#1: MY 3 PILLARS OF HEALTH
The first mandate I came up with and adopted: the 3 pillars of health, below, which have become the foundation for my green living philosophy (I actually think I stole these from my mentor):
- Take out the trash.
- Give the body what it needs.
- Get out of the way.
Here’s a bit more detail on each:
Take out the trash– this means, just that. Get rid of the trash in your life that is keeping your family from achieving optimal health. The things that are keeping your body from working properly, get rid of them, purge them, detoxify. Detoxify the physical and the emotional baggage that hinders your overall health. This means everything from the foods you choose to eat, to the chemicals you choose to use, and the people you surround yourself with. A great place for you to begin this journey is here.
Give the body what it needs– nourish your body with the only the best foods, with sunlight and exercise, with nutrients for illness, and nourish your soul with beautiful words, beautiful affirmations, kind people, and good wine 😉 A great place to begin this journey is here.
Get out of the way– seriously, get out of the way… STOP trying to sabotage the above 2 pillars!! So to not lose your sanity and mine, I adopted the second mandate, my 80/20 rule, to help with this…keep reading…
MANDATE #2: MY 80/20 RULE
The 80/20 Rule is this:
- 80% of your life is: clean and green.
- 20% of your life is: everything else.
Side note: I even include my beer in the 80% because I drink non-GMO beer 🙂
How do I know what is included in the 80%?
Take a look around the site, give yourself about 20-30 minutes of clicking through pages and posts, and you’ll find what I mean by 80% clean and green. After understanding the 80% clean and green, I have faith that you’ll grasp the idea behind the 20% everything else. Friday night pizza delivery is part of my family’s 20% 🙂
Have a look around, I hope you like what you see! Feel free to contact me anytime with questions and/or comments. I am always looking for better ways to give my message to others!
Dr. Green Mom came to life to bring a green life to you and your family. ENJOY! 🙂