Diseases and Vaccines
Below is the current list of all vaccines given to children in the United States. I have tried very hard to stay unbiased. It is my hope that you will read all of the information carefully before making any decisions regarding your children. I have also included links to resources that you may find helpful!
Note: I am not a pro-vax, nor am I an anti-vax mama. I am just a mama who wants what is best for my child. And, I am a doctor who advocates for parents making informed and educated decisions.
- Hepatitis B
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis
- Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib)
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
- Varicella (Chicken Pox)
- Hepatitis A
- Pneumococcal Disease
- Meningococcal Meningitis (COMING SOON)
- Influenza (COMING SOON)
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) (COMING SOON)
- Shingles (Herpes Zoster) >50 yrs old (COMING SOON)
- Vaccines for World Travelers (COMING SOON)
Vaccines have become a hot topic among mothers over the past several years. I was fully vaccinated as a child and lived my life oblivious to the whole “vaccine debate”…up until about halfway through medical school when I found a passion for studying autism. I completely understand the magnitude of importance on BOTH sides of the fence. I am not a pro-vax, nor am I an anti-vax mama. I am just a mama who wants what is best for my child.
My best advice for parents is to be an INFORMED PARENT:
- Read, research, read some more…
- Know the background of the disease.
- How is the disease transmitted.
- Know the potential side effects for both the disease and the vaccine, and the weight each side carries.
- Know questions to ask your doctor before vaccinating your child-
- Am I or my child sick right now?
- Have I or my child had a bad reaction to a vaccination before?
- Do I or my child have a personal or family history of vaccine reactions, neurological disorders, severe allergies or immune system problems?
- Do I know the disease and vaccine risks for myself or my child?
- Do I have full information about the vaccine’s side effects?
- Do I know how to identify and report a vaccine reaction?
- Do I know I need to keep a written record, including the vaccine manufacturer’s name and lot number, for all vaccinations?
- Do I know I have the right to make an informed choice?
- WHICH VACCINES DO YOU PLAN ON USING (trade name and manufacturer)
- More Information on “Ask 8” – Questions to ask yourself on the day of vaccinating your child.
Content Created: 03/14